background

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Parent's Weekend!!

Well, another week has gone by…time flies here at the LP!! This week was not that hectic, but this week will definitely be busy! Last week was really uneventful except for this weekend—Mom and Dad came to visit for Parent’s Weekend! It was so fun to get to see them and spend time with them off Project. It was nice to catch up with them and get away for a night. We stayed at a really nice hotel—well anything is really nice compared to the Mariner :) I enjoyed every minute of staying at the hotel with them. We had a beach front room so it was nice to get to look out at the beach in the AC. When Mom and Dad got here we rested for a little bit and talked and then we went to a seafood restaurant. It was really delicious—we even got to see alligators because the restaurant is beside a lake full of them. Then we went to Coldstone Creamery. Marble Slab closed in Spartanburg, so we try to take every opportunity to get some good ice cream! Later that night Mom and I took a walk on the beach and then came back to go to bed. We got up the next morning and had breakfast at the hotel and then headed to Broadway at the Beach to see Deep Sea 3D at the I-max theater. It was really cool to see all the different sea creatures that God made—He is so creative!

Me, Mom, and Dad at the I-max theater with our 3D glasses on....I forgot to get a better picture of us so here is a funny one :)

After the movie we went to lunch and then to the mall for a short time and then to the LP Parent’s Weekend meeting. We have a “Question and Answer” time for the parents to learn more about Campus Outreach and then we have a “Typical LP Meeting” for the parents to see what we do each Monday night. My team is planning the meeting this Monday so I will try to take pictures and write about what Monday night looks like each week (it is our theme talk night). After the meeting, Mom and Dad took out 2 of my roommates to dinner and then they had to get back on the road to get home by Sunday morning. It was wonderful having them here and Mom even baked me cookies and chex mix! They are the best parents!!

This past week for our theme talk we had the Director of Campus Outreach Greenville, G’Joe Joseph and his wife, Aimee, talk to us about “Relationships.” They shared their story of how they met, dated, got engaged, and are now married and how God orchestrated it all! They wanted to talk about “Relationships” in the context of friendships, dating, singleness, and marriage. It was so good—I look forward to this talk each year! The first night they talked about seven deceptive beliefs that we buy into in relationships and the destructive behavior that results from that belief. For example…Destructive Belief: Another person will complete me. Single people are incomplete and lack something. Destructive Behavior: The person seeks after marriage to complete their joy and they wind up disappointed because God is the only one who can satisfy. Jesus was single his entire life and he is 100% man and 100% God—He lacks nothing! It was great to identify the things that we buy into and fight to “burn off” these deceptive beliefs. The second night they talked about the different male and female personalities and answered questions that students had about dating. It was great and students learned a lot—including me!

Things you can be praying for:

  • That I would remember that I can not do anything myself! I try to be adequate in my own strength and knowledge and that is not good. I really need to seek the Lord and ask for His strength and His knowledge. I can not lead girls on my own—I must seek answers and guidance from God’s Word!
  • Pray for Amy, Allie, and Jessie—the 3 girls that I am leading this summer.
  • Pray for the team leaders (Andrew, Josh, Brinck, Peter, Lindsay Owens, Becca, Lindsay Shane, and Me). The staff is leaving on Thursday and we are the ones left in charge to run the project. Pray that we would work together well as a team and push each other to Christ in good and hard times. We need God to be at work in us as we lead the students at the LP.
  • For the students at the LP who have not given their life to Christ yet—pray that God would call them to Himself and that they would surrender their life to Him.
  • Pray that the students would be sharing their faith at work, on the beach, and wherever they go in Myrtle Beach. We want students to see that evangelism is a lifestyle and that they would look for opportunities to share the Gospel with others. I got to share in Spanish with a woman at the laundry mat today! It was awesome and reminded me that I need to share my faith more because you never know who really desires to know Christ and do not know how to become a Christ follower. She was really interested in learning more about how to follow Christ and God was able to use me!
  • Pray for the CO students in South Africa on the Cross Cultural Project. They will be sharing their faith in the dorms of a University in Pretoria and doing mercy ministry.

Until next week…Adios!

No comments: